Monday, February 23, 2009

Re. CUPE Ontario & Israel

Normally, I don't like commenting on political matters. However, CUPE Ontario's boycott of Israeli Universities is one issue that makes my blood boil. I don't know what kind of kool-aid Sid Ryan handed out at the Windsor conference, but it clearly and unfortunately did its job.

This boycott creates more divisions and encourages anger and hatred. No matter how hard CUPE Ontario tries to sugarcoat it, this boycott is antisemitic and hurts our country's reputation as an accepting and multicultural society.

For one thing, the Israel/Gaza conflict does not fall under CUPE's jurisdiction. Second of all, if CUPE wants to make a statement about this issue, they should encourage members from different backgrounds to have discussions about the conflict and come up with peaceful resolutions; perhaps this would set an example for others to follow.

Instead, however, CUPE has chosen to boycott, which is nothing more than a step backwards.

I know I have said this before, but it needs repeating:

Sid Ryan has publicly shown his ignorance. He has intentionally expressed antisemitism. He has also tarnished the image and reputation of CUPE. I encourage all CUPE members to speak with their leaders, CONDEMN this boycott and DEMAND Sid Ryan's resignation.

- ER

2 comments:

Suburban Sheepdog said...

yeah, the entire thing is a bit stupid. why is a labour union wading into these geopolitical issues is beyond me.

i don't think you and i are the only ones wondering this.

Unknown said...

Thanks, T-Bone. I was wondering that for ages myself.

Even overlooking my clear bias towards Israel, I'd be against this move if it tore into any proper academic, especially when you consider the ramifications. Is Sid Ryan aware that, had this come decades earlier, Einstein would be BANNED from speaking at U of T and York?