Thursday, January 28, 2010

So about last week...

For the first time in four years, I went a full week without the use of a home PC or the internet. It wasn't an ideal situation. I couldn't write any articles (sorry Launy and Austin), couldn't apply to any jobs and I was forced to record an interview for an upcoming podcast using my old tape recorder. But despite all that, I have to say it was really nice not having to stare at a computer screen 2.5-3 hours every night.

I was productive. Made my lunch earlier, got my stuff together sooner and had more "unwind" time. I had more time to read, which I took advantage of. Finding time to read has been a constant struggle for me. I also wrote....literally; pen and paper.

I can't remember the last time I actually opened a notebook and wrote poetry and prose. I use to do it all the time. During my OAC year, you could always find me in the library writing (or sharing jokes with certain individuals who were pretending to study, but mostly writing).

I admit it: I'm dependent on the internet and my computer. It's a big part of my life and "profession." Personally, I feel there's nothing wrong with that. It's just the nature of the beast. I bought this nice laptop and everything is returning to normal.

It was really nice having a mini-vacation. However, I wouldn't want to go without a computer or internet all the time. That's why I called it a mini-vacation. I highly recommend it though. Take a week off from spending time in front of your home PC. Take a week off from surfing the net and making tweets and posts. You might find it to be a very nice experience. You might even feel cleansed.

- ER

No comments: