Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sweet Tunes

I'm listening to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap on Radio One.

Today, he's playing his favourite Billboard Number One hits. Check out this awesome playlist:

True Colours - Cyndi Lauper
Seasons in The Sun - Terry Jacks
Dancing Queen - Abba
Jive Talkin' - The Bee Gees
Will It Go Round in Circles - Billy Preston

And that's just the first hour.

Here's two things I learnt from the show:

1. Seasons in The Sun was a song originally intended for The Beach Boys. It was recorded by the band but never released. So Terry Jacks released his own version and it went right to the top.

2. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet was just a "work song" that Randy Bachman did as a way to keep his skills sharp. When the manager of the record label heard it by sheer accident, he demanded that Bachman put the song on BTO's next album and have it released as a single. Bachman reluctantly agreed and figured that BTO would turn into a laughing stock. In his opinion, the song was of poor quality. In the end, the song rose to number one and became a classic.

The Hek

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I just realized, Billboard has really bad taste in music.

Anyway, Mr. Rosenhek, I listened to your latest Audio Circus, and I have a suggestion: Instead of making Would You Rather a silly Q and A that has no real impact on the show, why don't you turn it into a gimmick, so that whatever people ask for, you provide a two-minute version of the following week.

Well, it's something you can try, anyway.

For the record I'd rather see a remake of Gone With The Wind. How dare you suggest toying with Citizen Kane!

- Mr. Wood

Eric Rosenhek said...

That's true about Billboard. They're based on record sales and not quality.

Interesting idea on WYR, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

PS: You don't think Orson Wells is going to put a curse on me, do you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how easy it would be, but let's say you remake Gone With The Wind. You can have a trailer where they've recast Colin Firth as Rhett Butler: "Frankly Scarlett, I do give a damn. Let's run away to my gorgeous country house in England, where we'll..." etc. etc. Or Dr. Phil as Rhett: "Frankly Scarlett, I think you're a whiny, self-centred brat and the sooner you realize that and let go of your dependence on other people the sooner you'll find people stop walking all over you." Or Wanda Sykes as Mammy. "Pack up your own things, bitch!"

I don't know how easy that is to follow... of course, you can abandon movies as the Would You Rather question entirely.

I don't think Orson Welles'll curse you. Unless you eat frozen peas.

- Mr. Wood

Eric Rosenhek said...

I see what you're saying. Definitley something to think about. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for listening.