Friday, March 31, 2006

Ohhhhh, tough break.

At the beginning of this month, I found out that the sponsorship and marketing coordinator at CKCU was taking a leave of absence for a year. Upon hearing this, my initial thought was: "I could hold a job like that." I had the skills that were needed and the current coordinator graduated from Carleton with the exact same degree that I will receive this June. Best of all, getting this job would mean I could stay in Ottawa, still work at CKCU (and get paid for it), continue my work on the broadcasting side and a job such as this would look great on a resume.

A couple of days later I was at CKCU when the station manager wanted to speak with me. He explained the situation. Basically, he was going to ask a member on CKCU's board of directors if he would take on the job. If the board member said yes, end of story. However, if the board member declined, then an open call for applicants would take place. It was at this point when my station manager looked me in the eye and said: "If we do an open call, I strongly suggest you apply."

Now for sure, I was going to do it. I also had the backing of many people. I even started to think of some ideas I could do to advertise the station and strengthen our funding drive.

Unfortunately, I found out a few days ago that the board member accepted the position.

Of course I am not bitter. I don't mind at all. The job would have been a lot of work and since part of it deals with the finances of the station, there would have been a huge amount of pressure to maintain the station's current financial situation which is in good standing.

What does suck is that this was probably my last kick of the can to try and stay in Ottawa after I finish school. I did however, apply to work as a communications consultant for the Canadian Aids Society. The only problem with that was the fact that I found out about it the day after the deadline for applicants had passed. I would be extremely surprised if they even looked at my application let alone consider it.

The Hek

1 comment:

Billy Ruffian said...

That sucks Grasshopper.