Sunday, September 18, 2005

For the second straight Sunday, I did my readings by the Rideau Canal near Colonel By Drive. I found this really nice spot that has the only bench in any form of shade. As I was reading, a man who was obviously homeless showed up and parked his bike (with a trunk attached to it) next to the bench. Of course, I did not mind. He did his thing and I did mine. But then, he took out a hammer, a paint brush and a can of black pine tar and began to hammer tar off the brush into the small pond across form the bench while muttering something incoherent under his breath. I took that as my cue to exit. Now, I have nothing against the homeless. In most cases, they're homeless because of circumstances beyond their control. However, when they start to act "weird" and "crazy," I feel threatened. I could have stayed there and no harm would probably happen to me. But - and I am sorry to be like this - you never know what could happen. Maybe its just my paranoia talking.

In the meantime, I am sitting back and listening to an NHL Pre-Season game. Canadiens and Thrashers to be exact. It is good to hear hockey again. Who knows what the new NHL will look like.

The Hek

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have walked away too.

- Mr. Wood

Anonymous said...

I have similar stories from the TTC. You don't have to defend yourself for listening to your instincts and leaving.

-ErinMarie