Monday, September 05, 2005

If there is one thing that I love about downtown Ottawa, it would have to be Wellington Street. On this one single street are all the important government buildings. Sure, Toronto may have all its tourist attractions but Wellington Street is the epicentre of our historic and cultural development. It was in these buildings where the seeds were planted that gave Canadians the ability to define themselves. Almost every building was built in the late 1800's/early 1900's, has beautiful gardens and, is surrounded by paths that allow you to see the building in its entirety. The architecture is just breathtaking.

So here is how I took advantage of a beautiful day in Ottawa. First, I got off at the Parliament buildings and then made my way to the Supreme Court of Canada. While there, I wrote about about Justice. Then, I made my way to the National Archives and Library which has some amazing exhibits and free postcards. Finally, I finished my journey by walking the Ottawa River path which takes me to the Rideau Canal. I went up the stairs from there, past the NAC, War Memorial and then back to parliament where I took the bus home. All in all, three hours of fresh air and good exercise.

Time to get off the soapbox.

The Hek

No comments: