Sunday, September 25, 2005


Spent another weekend reading pointless stuff that will mostly have no effect on my future. What the hell is the point of University anyway? I am sick and tired of jumping through all these hoops for the last four years just to get some paper that tells people that I know a thing or two about the Mass Media. Every time I have to fork out money for something so overpriced and sit and learn about the hegemonic process, I feel a little more dead inside. Whoever said that University is about acquiring knowledge was probably someone so fearful of the outside world. University is about finding yourself and figuring out what the hell you want to do with your life. The real lessons are outside the classroom. Instead of papers and presentations, we should be graded on how we do our laundry, how we budget our expensive, how we balance our social life with our work life. Our diplomas should come when we do decide on a career path. I figured out what I wanted to do in the summer of 2004. It took me only two years.

I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I just wanted to stay there. I did not want to get out because I knew I would have to walk on down to the off campus book store and plop down some cash for a 500 page book that I probably won't even finish. Some bullshit by DH Lawrence, Women in Love. The only thing that made the trip tolerable was my desire to really see the beauty that Ottawa has.

I love Ottawa. I love Carleton. But I just hate school.

The Hek

No comments: