- To interfere with the respiration of by compression or obstruction of the larynx or trachea.
- To check or slow down the movement, growth, or action of: a garden that was choked by weeds.
- To block up or obstruct by filling or clogging: Mud choked the drainpipe.
- To fill up completely; jam: Major commuter arteries were choked with stalled traffic.
- To reduce the air intake of (a carburetor), thereby enriching the fuel mixture.
- Sports. To grip (a bat or racket, for example) at a point nearer the hitting surface.
- The Ottawa Senators' 2005-06 season.